In 2016, Hiltingbury Juniors was designated a National Support School with our Executive Headteacher, Sam Hunter, as a National Leader of Education. This was awarded by the National College of Teaching and Leadership in recognition of the work that HJS does to assist other schools, both locally and internationally.
We are committed to providing high quality professional development and colleague coaching and mentoring for schools who wish access the expertise that we have within our staff. Here is a list of some of the areas that we can offer support:
- As an NLE, Sam Hunter works in other schools to increase their capacity for school improvement, is a mentor for new headteachers and speaks regularly at conferences on assessment and leadership.
- Jon Clark, our Head of School, specialises in curriculum and subject leadership development and provides regular coaching. He oversees teachers’ professional development and HCC gave us the highest grading for the quality of the NQT programme he ran with the mentors and mentees.
- Diana Massa, our Assistant Headteacher, is an SLE for Assessment. She speaks at conferences on assessment and is regularly working to support colleagues in other schools to deliver personalised programmes to improve the quality of teaching and learning.
- Catherine Pollock, our English Leader, is a county moderator for writing at KS2 with a passion for her subject specialism. She is a champion of new approaches to deliver the English curriculum, including Guided Reading, through high quality texts. As well as delivering personalised training programmes in other schools she is a successful NQT and Schools Direct mentor.
- Zara Chambers, our lead practitioner on learning, has led ITT around teaching, learning and Growth Mindset. She also works with colleagues in other schools to deliver personalised programmes.
- Apart from two subjects led by recently qualified teachers, all subject leaders are experienced and able to provide support in terms of curriculum development, subject knowledge and monitoring of teaching and learning.
If you are looking for in-school support, be it just for a morning or for several months, please do contact us and we can work with you to create a package that is bespoke and affordable. If you are a school that is currently graded as ‘Requires Improvement’ or ‘Inadequate’ then we might be able to apply for a grant to fund your support.
Training to teach
Although we currently do not have any School Direct opportunities we do offer School Experience Placements.
CPD Training Opportunities