In 2016, Hiltingbury Juniors was designated a National Support School with our Executive Headteacher, Sam Hunter, as a National Leader of Education. In 2017, Judith Rutherford, our Chair of Governors, was designated as a National Leader of Governance. These were awarded by the National College of Teaching and Leadership in recognition of the work that HJS does to assist other schools, both locally and internationally.
We are committed to providing high quality professional development and colleague coaching and mentoring for schools who wish access the expertise that we have within our staff. Here is a list of some of the areas that we can offer support:
- As an NLE, Sam Hunter works in other schools to increase their capacity for school improvement, is a mentor for new headteachers and speaks regularly at conferences on assessment and leadership, both nationally and internationally. She is the author of the book ‘Life After Levels,’ which explores approaches to assessment.She has covered two interim headships at other schools.
- Jon Clark, our Head of School, specialises in curriculum and subject leadership development and provides regular coaching. He oversees teachers’ professional development and HCC gave us the highest grading for the quality of the NQT programme he ran with the mentors and mentees.
- Diana Massa, our Assistant Headteacher, is an SLE for Assessment. She speaks at conferences on assessment and is regularly working to support colleagues in other schools to deliver personalised programmes to improve the quality of teaching and learning. She has covered interim leadership posts in other schools and has delivered training in Egypt and in Germany.
- Vikki Batten is an SLE for School Business Management. She has experience of both infant and junior settings and can support across a range of HR, finance, resourcing and administrative queries.
- Catherine Pollock, our English Leader, is a county moderator for writing at KS2 with a passion for her subject specialism. She is a champion of new approaches to deliver the English curriculum, including Guided Reading, through high quality texts. As well as delivering personalised training programmes in other schools she is a successful NQT and Schools Direct mentor.
- Zara Chambers, our lead practitioner on learning, has led CPD around teaching, learning and Growth Mindset. She also works with colleagues in other schools to deliver personalised programmes. She has travelled as far as Cairo to deliver training. Zara is also the Director of the LEARN Primary Alliance, of which Hiltingbury Junior School is the named school.
- Judith Rutherford is our Chair of Governors and a National Leader of Governance. She is frequently deployed by the local authority to provide both long term and emergency cover to other governing bodies.
- Fi Coking leads on maths. We are an NCETM Maths Hub school for leading on maths mastery. Fi provides support to colleagues in other schools to support them with the development of their own mastery programme. She has led on training regarding Learning Ladders and assessment in Brussels.
- Apart from two subjects led by recently qualified teachers, all subject leaders are experienced and able to provide support in terms of curriculum development, subject knowledge and monitoring of teaching and learning.
If you are looking for in-school support, be it just for a morning or for several months, please do contact us and we can work with you to create a package that is bespoke and affordable. If you are a school that is currently graded as ‘Requires Improvement’ or ‘Inadequate’ then we might be able to apply for a grant to fund your support.
Training to teach
We are delighted to be working with Hampshire LEARN SCITT Partnership, an outstanding provider of Intitial Teaching Training. We will be leading the primary programme in September 2018. Please visit the SCITT website for full details, including details of SCITT taster sessions at Hiltingbury Junior School.
We regularly host School Experience Days for those who are planning to take up teacher training. Details of these can be found by contacting the school office.
CPD Training Opportunities